Backpacking is a fun activity but it can go terribly wrong if you don’t follow the unwritten guide of backpackers. There are many things that you will need to be aware of before you head to your backpacking trip.
Simply stating, there are many dos and don’ts related to backpacking which every new or seasoned backpacker must take seriously. For your help, the following is a detailed list of these dos and don’ts.
- The first thing to DO is to set a budget for your trip and follow it till the end. It is easy to overspend don the gear and the trip but with a budget set, you are less likely to get lost financially.
- Another thing that you must do is to visit a few hostels or motels, compare the prices and then settle for the one you like and can afford. See which facility offers more options for a lesser price.
- When you are out backpacking, make sure that you cook on your own whenever possible and buy yourself items to cook from a local discounted store. This will save cost of eating out in restaurants and will let you enjoy the real adventure of backpacking.
- Make sure you do enough research before you head out to find the best places to visit, decent places to stay and also know about the history of the place you are going to visit.
- Engage in many adventure activities because the whole idea of backpacking is to have fun, set out on adventures and feel the adrenaline rush.
- Talk to strangers, mingle with them and get to know more about the locals.
Don’ts of Backpacking
- Don’t panic if you get lost of a backpacking trip. There is always someone around to help you with the directions.
- Do not spend a lot of money on accommodation, food and transportation. Choose the cheapest possible option with best possible amenities and save yourself some money.
- Do not pack more than you can carry. Carry minimum clothing and other essentials to make sure that your backpack isn’t very heavy.
- Don’t eat out too regularly as it will make you feel heavy and won’t allow you to truly enjoy your trip.
- Do not trust strangers with your stuff even if you talk to them and mingle. You never know who is going to steal your items or fool you.
- Don’t engage in adventure sports that are not meant for you or are any risk to life. Definitely don’t engage in ones which are not supervised.