As the temperature soars, people tend to look for some relief. For some that relief may lay in staying indoors as much as possible, for some it could mean moving to a location where the temperature is freezing. If you belong to the second category, you have two very good options for yourself, one being skiing and another is ice climbing. If you are interested in the second, here are some suggestions for best locations of ice climbing.
5 Most famous Ice Climbing Locations
If ice climbing is in your mind, these are some of the most breathtakingly beautiful ice formations forming around cliffs, waterfalls etc, which you may like to visit.
- Kanderstag, Switzerland- Switzerland often reminds people of snow clad mountains. The Kanderstag municipality of Switzerland is a famous place for ice climbing, simply because of the challenges it provide. The frozen waterfall of the place may not be very steady, like some other places, but that instigates the adventurous spirits of the climbers. The place has been hosting an ice climbing festival for more than 15 years and is held in January every year.
- Valdez Alaska- Alaska is well known for its cold weather and the Valdez area is often termed as the best destination for ice climbing in all over USA. Here, there are a number of good locations for ice climbing, such as, the Keystone Canyon, Solomon Gulch, Mineral Creek. The place now hosts a yearly ice climbing festival, when a number of ice climbing enthusiasts gather in this area. However, most of these trails are short and do not take a full day to complete.
- Rjukan, Norway- If you are interested in extreme ice climbing, the Rjukan in Norway is the perfect place for you. It is a magnificent frozen water fall, which is one of the topmost locations for ice climbing in Europe. An ice climbing festival takes place in this area from 2005. In February, which is the coldest time of the year for this area, a lot of ice climbers gather in Rjukan.
- Ouray, Colorado, USA- Unlike the above mentioned destinations, Ouray ice park is a man made ice climbing destination, situated at the San Juan mountain range. In the year 1994, a local source of water was used to create some challenging routes for ice climbing. Every year, Ouray hosts the Ouray ice festival, when climbers flock to the place in great numbers.
- Yosemite National Park, California, USA- California is generally not too well known for its cold climate, but, the Yosemite National Park has some of the very well known trails, like the Widow’s Tears, which is one of the toughest trails. There are also easier tracks such as the Silver Starnd Falls. Yosemite might not be too well known for ice climbing, but, it is a very important school of climbing in the world.
This is a list of some of the greatest ice climbing locations of the world, and if you are an ice climbing enthusiast, you should plan to visit some of them.