It’s difficult to imagine what could possibly make your dog happier than accompanying you on a camping trip.
To be with you all day every day for days on end, all those new sights and smells, and to be in their element is one of the best experiences you can take your dog on with you.
There are things to consider and remember when deciding to take your dog on a camping trip with you. We have outlined the 10 most important tips for taking your best friend and canine companion camping with you.
- Take your dog to a pre-camping visit. Make sure your dog is up-to-date on all vaccines (Bordatella, Giardia, Rabies and DH2PP) and you may want to consider talking to your vet about a possible Lyme disease vaccine.
- Make sure your dog has proper identification and consider identifying where you will be at the camp site.
- Make sure your dog is micro-chipped.
- Bring all prescriptions for your dog.
- Take a crate with you for situations that may arise even if you don’t typically kennel your dog. It could come in very handy and as a safety measure.
- Don’t forget to pack plenty of water for your dog as well as their normal food and possible treats. You will need to keep up with your normal everyday routine as much as you can.
- Bring chew toys and a dog brush. There will be ‘down time’ when your dog would benefit from a chew toy for boredom and you never know what your dog could get into that would require brushing his coat out.
- Along with their regular collar and leash take extras just in case.
- Do some research and get the phone number and location of a vet in the area where you will be camping.
- Choose a campsite with shade to better accommodate your furry friend.
Once you plan ahead and are cognizant of all these things, also be aware of a few ‘housekeeping’ issues and just plain considerate behaviors such as picking up after your dog, keeping him quiet and not allowing him to bark, never leave your dog unattended and closely supervise your dog while around other campers.
If you follow all these guidelines you are sure to have an extremely fun time while camping with your best buddy!