Over the years, several manufacturers of camping backpacks have dedicated their time and knowledge in producing and distributing high quality backpacks, one of the most important equipment a backpacker should have. Camping backpacks are a necessity to every outdoor trip since it carries everything you have.
Camping backpack is a knapsack that is lightweight and mounted at the back. The size of these backpacks is measured in liters. Depending on the length of the trip, the size of your camping backpacks may vary. In some cases, it’s not the length of the trip that decides the size of the bag but what the camper can carry. Below are some helpful hints on which backpacks to buy.
Camping backpacks for long trips
- 20-30 Liters – A 20-30 liters size can hold a whole day hiking trip. It includes your gears and other supplies during the trip. Camping backpacks of this size is common and can be used for other purposes aside from camping.
- 40-50 Liters – A 40-50 liters size can hold the weekend trip which is normally 2-3 days outdoors.
- 60-100 Liters – A 60-100 liters size can hold much more and longer trips.
Again, the size of these camping backpacks varies according to your preference. Nowadays, a good and experienced camper is measured by how small the size of the backpack he uses. Proper packing is one big factor in maximizing your space.
Tips on packing:
- Clothes should be rolled before packing; this will eliminate the use of too much space inside the camping backpacks.
- Heavier items should be stacked in the bottom part of the camping backpack, such as your sleep bags.
- Make sure that when packing, the weight is properly balanced.
- Bring utensils that are a multi purpose to avoid packing more than you need to.
- Camping backpacks are normally waterproof but we have to note that these backpacks are equipped with zippers therefore excessive exposure to rain can cause water to soak fabrics inside and therefore cause the camping backpack to get heavier. If possible, cover it with a plastic sheet to avoid water coming in.
- Most campers suggest that you put your gears in a color coded packs inside your back for easy recognition.
Why not just any backpack?
Camping backpacks has a belt attached at the bottom part, an essential feature that lets you tie the belt around your waist so the weight of the camping backpack is concentrated on your lower back and not on your shoulders.
If upon carrying the backpack, you feel a strain on your shoulder, you may need to re adjust the weight or have the contents of the camping backpacks balanced. Make sure your head doesn’t hit the top of your backpack when you look up, or that it does not hit your ankles when you’re squatting.
These are just some practical tips you need to know about camping backpacks, although we all have different preferences, it’s still us who knows ourselves best and we know our capacity in handling such. Camping is a fun thing to do, if we know how to deal with its essential rules and risks.